Hi all
I know it has been a very long time but I have been enjoying the few weeks that I had to focus on other things in my life that have been seriously neglected for a very long time. I was able to go out for dinner with friends and spent time with my family enjoying basketball games and hockey games. I went shopping with Jenna for a prom dress and Jake and I had a special day together doing whatever he wanted to do. Sarah and I are also planning a special day together soon. I got my hands dirty digging in the soil and trying to coax the spring flowers up- of course that was only one day that we got nice enough weather to do that. As I sit in the front room I am amazed at the amount of snow swirling around outside- enough already! Rick and I took a day and went to TO to walk around the Distillery District and out for a nice lunch. It was really nice. Yesterday we went to my brother and sister in law's house to visit with them. I haven't seen them since the start of chemo and it was so nice to chill out on their coach and be truly spoiled by them. I had the best dinner of homemade pizza, rapini and sausage and peppers. My brother is the best chef- no question about that! Thanks Joe and Wendy!
Some of my friends and myself got together last week for what I thought was going to be a dinner and movie night. Turns out they had something up their sleeve! We had the nice chinese dinner and then when they said let's watch a movie they disappeared one at a time to reappear with funny hats on their heads. Then they turn on the DVD player and we begin to watch not a movie but a video of them dancing to the song "BEAT IT" by Michael Jackson. Of course they changed the words of the song and it was so hilarious! I will try to post it for you as soon as I get my kids to show me how! I love it. They all wore the silliest hats and the funniest costumes. Then they read a wonderful book to me called "The Lemonade Club" by Patricia Polacco. She is a well known children's author whose stories are inspirational, moving and thought provoking. This book is about 2 best friends in Gr.5 who have a wonderful teacher who everyday tells them that when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. The one girl is diagnosed with leukemia and at the same time the teacher falls ill as well. As they each took a turn reading a page from the book and as the events unfolded I couldn't help but think that this author must have experienced cancer first hand because she was writing and expressing the emotions so accurately. Only someone who has been through it or has helped a significant other would be able to depict those feelings and fears. In fact, this story is about her daughter who was the best friend of the girl with leukemia and it is in fact a true story with a very happy ending. Lots of tears shed that night but truly an amazing evening. I am so blessed to have such amazing friends to sense and know that I needed a night of good company, reassurance, acknowledgement and courage to get me through the next hurdle- thank you!
Speaking of next hurdle- last week I started the drug tamoxifen which I will be taking for the next 5 years and then after that I go on a different drug for another 5 years. This drug is an estrogen blocker and will further reduce the risk of the cancer coming back.
I also begin radiation tomorrow. I will be going 5 days a week for the next 6 weeks. Seems like such a long time- 30 treatments in all. I really can't wait till this is over. I won't bother telling you about side effects right now. Don't really want to focus on that. I am still waiting for my hair to start growing back- it has been a month since my last chemo session and there is no new growth- none. I guess it will start soon so in the meantime I continue to wear hats and scarves.
Thats all for now! I hope that everyone is doing well and finding some time to get outside and enjoy the nice weather when it makes an appearance.
Ciao!
I know it has been a very long time but I have been enjoying the few weeks that I had to focus on other things in my life that have been seriously neglected for a very long time. I was able to go out for dinner with friends and spent time with my family enjoying basketball games and hockey games. I went shopping with Jenna for a prom dress and Jake and I had a special day together doing whatever he wanted to do. Sarah and I are also planning a special day together soon. I got my hands dirty digging in the soil and trying to coax the spring flowers up- of course that was only one day that we got nice enough weather to do that. As I sit in the front room I am amazed at the amount of snow swirling around outside- enough already! Rick and I took a day and went to TO to walk around the Distillery District and out for a nice lunch. It was really nice. Yesterday we went to my brother and sister in law's house to visit with them. I haven't seen them since the start of chemo and it was so nice to chill out on their coach and be truly spoiled by them. I had the best dinner of homemade pizza, rapini and sausage and peppers. My brother is the best chef- no question about that! Thanks Joe and Wendy!
Some of my friends and myself got together last week for what I thought was going to be a dinner and movie night. Turns out they had something up their sleeve! We had the nice chinese dinner and then when they said let's watch a movie they disappeared one at a time to reappear with funny hats on their heads. Then they turn on the DVD player and we begin to watch not a movie but a video of them dancing to the song "BEAT IT" by Michael Jackson. Of course they changed the words of the song and it was so hilarious! I will try to post it for you as soon as I get my kids to show me how! I love it. They all wore the silliest hats and the funniest costumes. Then they read a wonderful book to me called "The Lemonade Club" by Patricia Polacco. She is a well known children's author whose stories are inspirational, moving and thought provoking. This book is about 2 best friends in Gr.5 who have a wonderful teacher who everyday tells them that when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. The one girl is diagnosed with leukemia and at the same time the teacher falls ill as well. As they each took a turn reading a page from the book and as the events unfolded I couldn't help but think that this author must have experienced cancer first hand because she was writing and expressing the emotions so accurately. Only someone who has been through it or has helped a significant other would be able to depict those feelings and fears. In fact, this story is about her daughter who was the best friend of the girl with leukemia and it is in fact a true story with a very happy ending. Lots of tears shed that night but truly an amazing evening. I am so blessed to have such amazing friends to sense and know that I needed a night of good company, reassurance, acknowledgement and courage to get me through the next hurdle- thank you!
Speaking of next hurdle- last week I started the drug tamoxifen which I will be taking for the next 5 years and then after that I go on a different drug for another 5 years. This drug is an estrogen blocker and will further reduce the risk of the cancer coming back.
I also begin radiation tomorrow. I will be going 5 days a week for the next 6 weeks. Seems like such a long time- 30 treatments in all. I really can't wait till this is over. I won't bother telling you about side effects right now. Don't really want to focus on that. I am still waiting for my hair to start growing back- it has been a month since my last chemo session and there is no new growth- none. I guess it will start soon so in the meantime I continue to wear hats and scarves.
Thats all for now! I hope that everyone is doing well and finding some time to get outside and enjoy the nice weather when it makes an appearance.
Ciao!
No comments:
Post a Comment