Today I would like to talk about a special friend and cousin and a chemo bag. The night before I was to start my first chemo session a new friend and fellow cancer club member arrived at my door with a beautiful black bag with an assortment of goodies inside. She called it her "chemo bag". It was given to her and meant to bring her comfort and warmth as she went for treatments. A fuzzy blanket, some soothing tea and some other things. I used that chemo bag every time I went for a treatment. I found great comfort and strength knowing that someone else wrapped themself in that blanket and was going through exactly the same thing I was.
The contents of the chemo bag has grown- I have added hats, books that were given to me, a prayer shawl and of course the fuzzy blanket. The chemo bag was given to a friend to comfort her and she recently gave it back to me.
I wish I could say that the bag is in my closet collecting dust but it isn't. Two weeks ago I had to ship that bag to my cousin Fio. She was diagnosed with breast cancer and her first treatment was on Friday.
I wish I could be there with you Fio but I know that this bag will bring you some peace. As you begin this journey I want you to know that you are loved. You sent me much love and light during my active treatment and you were there for me and now I will be there for you. May you find comfort in that blanket when you wrap it around you and know that there were 3 other very strong women before you fighting the fight. In yoga we do a pose called Warrior and everytime I do it I think "that's me- a warrior". And that is you too. We are warriors. I love you.
The contents of the chemo bag has grown- I have added hats, books that were given to me, a prayer shawl and of course the fuzzy blanket. The chemo bag was given to a friend to comfort her and she recently gave it back to me.
I wish I could say that the bag is in my closet collecting dust but it isn't. Two weeks ago I had to ship that bag to my cousin Fio. She was diagnosed with breast cancer and her first treatment was on Friday.
I wish I could be there with you Fio but I know that this bag will bring you some peace. As you begin this journey I want you to know that you are loved. You sent me much love and light during my active treatment and you were there for me and now I will be there for you. May you find comfort in that blanket when you wrap it around you and know that there were 3 other very strong women before you fighting the fight. In yoga we do a pose called Warrior and everytime I do it I think "that's me- a warrior". And that is you too. We are warriors. I love you.
No comments:
Post a Comment