I Am Blessed



"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,



Life is about learning to dance in the rain"




























WELCOME TO MY LIFE!

I hope that through this blog I am able to express to each of you how truly grateful I am for all of your continued support and for how loved I really feel. I hope that some of you will be able to take strength, courage or whatever it is that you need to get you through one more day of treatment. Because I know what "one day at a time" truly means. Enjoy and happy reading













Thank you















Sunday, January 23, 2011

A Beautiful Quilt!

A few weeks ago I ran into an old friend Ros.  I haven't seen her in awhile.  She was a huge part of our lives for a long time as she babysat both Jake and Sarah for many, many years. She was a great sitter and we were very grateful. We got to talking and I shared my news with her.  Yesterday, she delivered the most beautiful quilt lovingly made by her mother and other women that belong to the Catholic Women's League of St. Mary's church in Owen Sound. They also belong to a group called "Prayers and Squares, the Prayer Quilt Ministry".  They make quilts for people who are going through a difficult time of one kind or another to comfort them.  As they make the quilt and tie on the knots, they pray, and then other people can continue to put knots in the quilt.  I was absolutely stunned. What a powerful gift!  It is so beautiful and the colours match perfectly with our house and so cozy!!!!  Once again, I am  filled with such emotion as we continue to be blessed by the kindness and compassion of others.  Thank you Ros for this incredible gesture and to your mom and the other women, what a wonderful thing they do by reaching out to others.  When I am through with treatment and this is behind us, the prayer quilt will hold a very special place in our home so that we can remember your kindness always. Wow!
On Friday, I went to UW for the WellFit program- thanks Sue for pointing me in the right direction.  It is an exercise program specifically designed for cancer treatment patients.  I was a little nervous going because after not being able to exercise for 4 months and having to put my gym membership on hold, I was pretty certain that they were going to tell me that I was completely out of shape- but they didn't!  So, now that I have had an assessment done, they set up a program that meets my needs and I start on Tuesday, going 2 times a week for 12 weeks.  It focusses on cardio and strength.  I am excited to start sweating again!

Have I told you about Peggy?  I met Peggy when I went to the "Look Good, Feel Better" workshop at the hospital.  I sat down beside her and her friend Bryn started talking to me.  I liked them right from the start and then when we found out we were all primary teachers- well now we are bonded for life!  I almost didn't go that day because I had just found out that morning that I needed chemo, so I was pretty upset.  Am I ever glad that I changed my mind.  Peggy has dark short hair with a cute wave going on.  When I looked away and then looked back she had replaced her hair with a hot pink bandana!!! I had no idea she was wearing a wig- they look that real!  I just did not see myself getting a wig until I looked at Peggy and  I thought "wow, maybe I will get one- I couldn't even tell!"  You look great both ways Peggy!!! Thanks for sitting beside me!
So now Peggy, Bryn and I email each other.  She just finished her 3rd round of chemo- she reacted so badly to the first drug she was on, but now we are keeping our fingers crossed that they got it right.  We are hoping to get together for a coffee (well, not coffee because neither one of us can stand the taste of coffee right now).  I will have to introduce her to Sue so we can all share stories and help each other through.  It makes a real difference when you are able to connect with people who are going or have gone through this.  A great book I am reading called "Crazy, Sexy Cancer Tips" by Kris Carr talks about the importance of creating a "Cancer Posse" and I think that is really important too.  I know that having Sue and my cousin Giovanna, Tiziana,my mother in law and now Peggy to talk to and share tips, be encouraged  and to trade valuable tricks of the trade is really helping.  So if you are reading this blog and you are also fighting this dragon then I would highly recommend getting your own posse- or joining ours- you are more than welcome!  I would also recommend that book, fabulous and funny!

Yesterday I went for coffee with my friend Paula- it was great to get out and have a laugh with a friend. She always has great stories to share and even brought pictures along to show!  It was nice seeing you again.  I guess we don't have to worry about being called sisters anymore now that our hair is soooo different.  I am looking forward to spending some time with my amazing friend Maryanna tomorrow!

Today I decided to go on the treadmill.  It felt great, I blasted my Ipod (I see hearing aids in my future) and I away I went- I even managed to run for a bit (very short bit).  It felt incredible to sweat and get those muscles moving again.  I cooled down singing along to my favourite song "Let It Be" - well, I must have been howling because Rick and Jake came running down the stairs to ask me if I was okay- they thought I was screaming.  So I may not be the best singer but boy did it feel good letting loose.  I could feel the endorphins helping join the fight to kill those nasty bad red blood cells!!!

Thank you to all of you who have helped us out the past few weeks (and many before that as well) with meals for us.  Words can not express how grateful we are.  We are blessed.

1 comment:

  1. Very happy to be part of your "Crazy Sexy Cancer Posse"!!!

    ReplyDelete