I Am Blessed



"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,



Life is about learning to dance in the rain"




























WELCOME TO MY LIFE!

I hope that through this blog I am able to express to each of you how truly grateful I am for all of your continued support and for how loved I really feel. I hope that some of you will be able to take strength, courage or whatever it is that you need to get you through one more day of treatment. Because I know what "one day at a time" truly means. Enjoy and happy reading













Thank you















Saturday, January 8, 2011

A Good Day

So yesterday I went to get my hair cut.  I started off the day talking to my nurse oncologist from "CarePath" and she helped me to understand the meds a little better and went through some of the more common side effects of the drugs and what I need to know about them.  I know I have said it before, but this service really is fantastic and I am so lucky that my Union offers this- she calls once a week and goes over recent events and she also gets a copy of all of my pathology reports and then helps me decipher some of the vocabulary- they also have an oncologist that they talk to if I have questions that they can't answer. Everything she has said has been dead on with what the doctor's are saying and it's is a great reassurance for me.
Back to the haircut- my dear friend Cathy met me at the hairdresser's.  I am really glad she did because I am not sure I could have done this one alone.  Ali, my hairdresser started cutting and she did a great job of distracting me from what she was doing. I actually was very pleased with myself, I held it together.  She offered us wine but I said no ( I know, stupid eh)- but these days one glass sends me straight to feeling tipsy!
When I went to pay at front reception they told me that there was no charge for the haircut!  How sweet was that.  I was taken aback, I didn't expect that at all.  Ali has been my hairdresser for over a decade and before that was my colourist- so we have been together for almost 14 years- a long time.  Thank you Ali and Shear Heaven- that was such a sweet and kind gesture- thanks for making it so much easier for me to do and I do love the haircut, it's very cute- just very short and I miss my curls!  I will post a picture as soon as I can get one of the kids to download it for me.
After that we went to see Pat the wig lady.  It was very weird sitting in a chair trying on wigs.  I tried on short wigs, long haired wigs, straight, curly, brown, blonde, red... I tried on alot and some of them were just ugly on me!  With Cathy's help I decided on a wavy wig, with straight longer bangs.  Cathy said it looks alot like how I used to wear my hair just after Jake was born. 
I was dreading yesterday but with a little help from my friend and some very compassionate people I felt good.  I came home smiling to mixed reviews about my hair but the one comment that will stick is when Jake said to me after he had time to digest the new look "mom, it doesn't change who you are, you are still you"
Very sweet don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment