Hello again
I am feeling a bit better today and so I am going to post before the woozy hits again (very normal, I had it last time and I am pretty sure it is the anaesthesia taking its sweet time working itself out of my system). YES, I AM AT HOME! I know it's crazy but I was home within 8 hours. Truthfully, it is better, I can lie in my own bed and it is much quieter here.
OK... we got to the hospital at 7:30am to register. It was crazy busy, that place never slows down. I knew it was going to be a tough day when the lady that registered me said "are you nervous, you are doing the right thing you know". That got the waterworks going. Then off to day surgery to get my beautiful gown on and get assessed by the nurse. They were quite concerned about my cough but no fever, so onward. The nurse was very funny and a bit perturbed, I guess she had just gotten yelled at by a doctor (apparently that happens alot) so she said some pretty hilarious things.
As they cattle herded me and 3 other women and our significant others we saw Fred and Connie. Connie is an OR nurse and Fred, her husband, is one of Jenna's awesome hockey coaches. It was Connie's day off but she came to make sure I was all set up and she took great care of me. I also saw another friend Heidi who was scheduled for my Operating Room. So they both wrapped me up in warm blankets, talked to me for a bit and then brought me into the room. Fred and Rick went off to get a coffee and begin the long wait. Connie, I can't express enough how much it meant to have you there with me,holding my hand, setting up and letting me know it is going to be okay. Having both you and Heidi in there talking to me and holding my hands till I fell asleep was so comforting. I know I got a little freaked out there right before I fell asleep but I knew I was going to be okay. I felt so blessed and loved. Hard to explain, but true. I also knew that there were so many people thinking and praying for me that it was all going to turn out okay. Thanks also to Oma and Opa who came to be with Rick for awhile as well as he waited to hear that I was out.
I guess the surgery itself took about an hour, so that's pretty fast, I am told. Then I went to the recovery area, I like it there. They wrap you up in these amazing warm blankets, from head to toe and the nurses are so caring and compassionate. The best part about the experience was the blankets- like a big warm hug! One of the women there said it's like being at the spa- not quite, but I get what she was trying to say:)
They gave me percosets because I reacted to the Tylenol 3s the last time... oh my, I hate them! I have decided that I could never get hooked on painkillers... I felt terrible, I saw in triples, had extreme nausea and was so light headed. They only lasted till about 4am and then I was done with them... decided that a little pain and Advil extra strength was the only way to go.
Came home around 3ish and went straight to bed. I tried to eat something but that set my stomache going and got sick. That wore off yesterday.
When I got home, a package had arrived from my cousin Fio. Our "paisana" Angela made me this incredible, beautiful prayer shawl and gorgeous hat. I love it Ang, and grazie mille! I put it on immediately and have been wearing it ever since. This is the reason why, after 30 some years, we literally ran into each other at the Italian Villa in Epcot Center 2 summers ago. Funny, how I thought at the time what were the chances that the person standing next to me, out of thousands of people at the park that day, was speaking Italian in that Sudburian- Italian that only we would recognize? And then to hook up on face book a not soon after that? Meant to be. Thank you, I really do love it!
I Am Blessed
"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,
Life is about learning to dance in the rain"
WELCOME TO MY LIFE!
I hope that through this blog I am able to express to each of you how truly grateful I am for all of your continued support and for how loved I really feel. I hope that some of you will be able to take strength, courage or whatever it is that you need to get you through one more day of treatment. Because I know what "one day at a time" truly means. Enjoy and happy reading
Thank you
No comments:
Post a Comment