Today was a good day, and as I have learned very quickly- I embraced it! I was given a book by Jenna's high school hockey coach a few weeks back that helped her through this and is now helping me. It is called "Just Get Me Through This!"- that is a perfect name for a book because that is exactly how I feel! In it she shares some tips to help you get through chemo and one of them is when you are feeling good to "get up, get dressed and get out" so that is what I did.
This morning I decided to get out so I went to go get a few groceries. Those of you who know me know that I am a bit of a germ freak and this has just graduated me to full fledged germ-a-phobe! So, I was worried about going out so I protected myself very well. I had on a big hat, scarf wrapped around my mouth and gloves on!!! You should have seen the looks I was getting- it was actually quite funny! A bit over the top? Maybe, but I did enjoy getting out- even if it was for a quick trip to the grocery store. Never in a million years would I have ever considered the thought of grocery shopping as exciting- but it was :)
So the meds are throwing my whole system out of whack- I can't sleep! I lie awake for hours with my mind just whirring. Not thinking about anything major or even worrying really- my brain won't shut off- it insists on having conversations with me through the whole night. Last night I contemplated getting up to make the kids lunches, but that passed very quickly, so I just lay there. I did learn that Rick likes to sleep with a hoodie up around his head. I never noticed that before. I am hoping this passes soon because I can't nap either so by 7 at night I am pretty tired. Maybe tonight I will watch tv- I wonder if there are any good shows on in the middle of the night?
Did I mention that my dad has been in the hospital for the past few weeks? He had a blood clot in his leg that erupted and they had to do some major surgery. There have been some complications and they are waiting to see what to do next. He is 82 years old. It has been a really difficult time for them because they are so far away and I have not been able to see them at all. I am thankful that my brother Franco lives close enough that he can check in on them and keep us all posted- thanks Frank, I love you ! And to my brother Settimio for going to spend the weekend with mom and taking good care of her- love you too! It has been very stressful on my mom who worries about me way too much. I keep telling her not to worry, that I have an amazing group of friends, relatives, doctors and volunteers supporting me and it brings her comfort. We would appreciate it if you could remember my parents in your prayers.
Jenna goes to University next year and she got her first offer tonight! We were so excited! It is not her first choice but we were thrilled just the same. We are keeping our fingers crossed that she hears soon from the one that counts in her books! Hard to believe that my little baby is moving out- when she was about 6 years old she told me that she "would never, never, never leave you mommy- and when I get married he will come live with us" and I said to her that someday she might change her mind but I hoped she wouldn't. That will be very hard saying good bye to the first born!
Thanks for the positive feedback on the Run for the Cure- looks like there will be a Team Elena in Sudbury- thanks Fio and Ang! And my staff is joining me- I am so lucky :)
Ciao for now!
I Am Blessed
"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,
Life is about learning to dance in the rain"
WELCOME TO MY LIFE!
I hope that through this blog I am able to express to each of you how truly grateful I am for all of your continued support and for how loved I really feel. I hope that some of you will be able to take strength, courage or whatever it is that you need to get you through one more day of treatment. Because I know what "one day at a time" truly means. Enjoy and happy reading
Thank you
Hey Elena, I am glad to hear that you are getting out for some fresh air. It is funny how we look on things differently when we are faced with a challenge, even doing groceries becomes fun! I am sorry to hear that your dad is not well. I will add him to my prayer list. Say hello to your mom and your brothers for me when you have a chance. Take care.
ReplyDelete